Wednesday 31 August 2016

Riding Again


I'm riding again, in the rain
I'm riding again, as one knee abandons protective arrogance
and the other, competitive repentance
now they are merely sibling huskies
climbing the hill in the rain

In the rain, pupils swat away the eyelids
to greet the kiss of phantasmic boreal shelter
to taste fresh kelp and salmon from another time zone
and grant patience to the rush-hour haste and neurosis of
windshield-wipers
ring the bell for the man with the umbrella
serve notice: I have delivered red roses to the graveyard
of three-dollar chinatown umbrellas
but you can get those from a tuxedoed layoff survivor
in any uptown bar

I'm riding again, wearing what I came with
what I wore to carry pockets full of solutions
covering the formality I wore to greet the sun
my pants are all wet, and I can't wait to take them off
but that's something we just don't say anymore
while the eyes watch, the knees creak
and all anyone notices is whether you noticed

No comments:

Post a Comment